Setting up mobility Print
Users now have the ability to connect to the printers from a phone, tablet, or personal laptop. Follow the links below to configure your device for Printing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is our new vendor?
Our new printer vendor is Sharp. They have the advantage of locally based service (Asheville) combined with the backing of an international company for technical expertise and equipment.
What will change for me?
1) All faculty/staff printers will now be color multi-function copier/printer/scanner devices.
2) You can print from anywhere to anywhere, including from work or personal laptops tablets and phones.
3) Your print jobs don’t print until you release them at the printer. You can release your jobs either by tapping your ID card or by keying in your ID number (leave off the leading zeros in your ID number).
4) When scanning, your email address, a link to your O drive folder, and an option to scan to Google Drive will automatically appear once you tap your card or key in your ID on the printer.
5) We added 12 printers to make printing available to students in all dorms and in additional labs.
6) We added 7 additional multifunction devices for faculty and staff, to ensure that everybody has a device nearby.
7) We will no longer lease any individual desktop printers (more on that below).
8) We will now be able to track all printing, and copying usage but user and department and provide reports on that data for directors and VPs.
9) The campus will have an in-house print shop, run by the Communication Office, with the capability to make magazines, booklets, programs, business cards, postcards, and posters.
How do I print?
There will be two universal print queues that will be automatically pushed out to all computers. (*Important: You will have to restart your computer before the printers will appear) They will appear in your printer list by Monday. The print queues look like an ordinary printer and are named Color Print on Papercut and Grayscale Print on Papercut. You can print to either, but the Grayscale Print will print in black and white, while the Color Print will print color if any exists in the print job.
You can release your print job from any Sharp printer on campus by tapping your ID card or by keying in your ID number (leave off the leading zeros in your ID number). Print jobs will be available for 24 hours after your send them to the print queue. After that, they will be cleared from the queue.
My desktop printer has disappeared. How do obtain a replacement?
IT strongly encourages all users to tryout the new universal print queues and tap to release features (which ensure security for sensitive documents) before considering buying a desktop printer. However, for those who absolutely need a desktop printer, they can be purchased out of departmental budgets. IT has identified a good quality model that is available on Amazon for Business. It is inexpensive and has a low toner cost. Links to the printer and toner are below. These are plug and play devices, but IT is happy to assist with setup if needed.
Printer: Brother HL-2300D
Toner: TN660 high-yield toner
To download the User Instruction manual click here
Sharp Printer User Instructions.pdf