Brevard College recognizes the substantial benefits which students can gain from study-abroad experiences. Consequently, the College periodically plans and sponsors international educational experiences for its students. In addition, with prior approval, Brevard College students may participate in international educational experiences sponsored by other institutions, and then transfer academic credits to Brevard College. Under certain conditions, study abroad experiences may be used to satisfy the foreign languages/cultures requirements (Area III.D.) of the general education curriculum.

Where can I study abroad?

Virtually anywhere! Brevard College has established consortium agreements with KEI AbroadMSU British Studies Abroad , and The Sports Health Institute. Brevard College is also a member of the Appalachian College Association Study Away Network. Students from ACA schools can study with these programs.

Brevard College students are invited participate in study away/abroad educational experiences sponsored by other institutions or organizations. Student must have prior approval in order to transfer any credits towards degree completion.

Brevard College students may intern abroad however, they will need to register through another educational institution or a study aboard program.  

For assistance in choosing a program that is a good fit for you, Contact Nacole Potts-Hardwick at

Other resources to search for study abroad programs:

API Abroad:

British Studies Abroad (London) Summer Program:

CIS Abroad:

CAPA Abroad:

International Sustainable Development Studies Institute - Thailand: 

SFS Abroad:

Study Abroad:

Academic Initiatives Abroad:

Intern Abroad HQ:


When should I study abroad?

Different programs may have different prerequisites, both for academic status and minimum GPA. Please look at individual programs for details. Typically, students study abroad during the second semester of sophomore and the fall semester of their junior year, or during summer breaks.  Short term faculty led trips are typically scheduled for holiday breaks or summer.

Can I use my financial aid for study abroad?

If you receive financial aid from Brevard College, our financial aid office will processes your aid for use on campus, summer school, or study abroad. They will also establish consortium agreement with any study abroad programs who are participants. The only financial aid applicable for study abroad is federal and state aid, including Pell Grants and Stafford Loans.
Scholarships and aid received directly from Brevard College or a particular department cannot be used for study abroad. Also, students must be participating in a semester program where they will earn 6 credit hours or more. Short-term learning trips do not qualify.
When you have decided on a particular program and have questions about using financial aid, take your program information to the Financial Aid office and they will assist you. Once the agreement is set up and the funds are processes, aid will be refunded directly to the student. It is then the student’s responsibility to pay the study abroad program.
If you have additional questions regarding financial aid for study abroad, contact the Financial Aid office at

What other funds are available to study abroad? 

Many Study Abroad programs offer their own scholarships. Check with each program individually for more information. 

There are also a number of foundations and companies that offer scholarships, grants and loans for education abroad. Each foundation has its own application requirements and deadlines. 

How will my credits transfer from studying abroad?

Your study abroad program will need pre-approval from your advisor and the Registrar. Accredited programs will have transcripts that will be submitted to Brevard College. Again, your advisor or the registrar will help you to determine which classes will count towards your degree program at Brevard College. Students will also need to complete a Transient Request form. This form is provided by the Registrar's Office.

What do I need to do if I have decided on a study abroad program?

1) Once you decide on a program you will need to meet with Nacole Potts-Hardwick in the OCED/Tornado Alley to start the process to officially apply to study abroad.
2) When you have selected a program and met with Nacole Potts-Hardwick, you will then meet with your advisor to discuss your plans to study abroad. Next, the Registrar and Financial Aid offices will confirm appropriate items are in place for you to study abroad. 
If you are interested in participating in a Brevard College faculty led trip, contact the individual faculty member in charge for more information. Make sure you meet the requirements (if any) beforehand. Some offerings may have prerequisite coursework.